Holy Cross are now ensuring a Healthy School Pack Lunch Policy is implemented.
PA PACKED LUNCH
Parents need to bring in a healthy packed lunch for their child. Some healthy choices we suggest are:
- A good portion of starchy food, e.g. wholegrain roll, savoury roll, sandwich, tortilla wrap, chapatti, pitta bread, crackers, pasta or rice salad
- A portion of lean meat, fish or alternative, e.g. chicken, ham, beef, tuna, egg, beans or hummus
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables, e.g. an apple, banana, Satsuma, handful of cherry tomatoes or carrot sticks, or a small tub of fruit salad or grapes but to be cut up please
- A portion of dairy food, e.g. cheese strings/triangles, Babybels, yoghurt or fromage frais
- A drink, e.g. milk, fruit juice (not fruit shoots), yoghurt drink or bottle of water (no fizzy drinks)
As we are a healthy eating school we have never allowed pupils to bring in crisps, chocolate bars, cookies, cakes, breakfast cereal bars or sweets. If children wish to bring in crisps then they will need to be the baked variety. Unfortunately we are seeing these items being brought into school.
We have children who have nut allergies and therefore products such as CHOCOLATE SPREAD/NUTELLA or PEANUT BUTTER are prohibited as these products contain nuts.
We will be monitoring children’s packed lunches. If you should have any questions regarding this letter or require any nutritional help with your child’s packed lunch, please see Mrs Power.
Like you, we at Holy Cross want our children to establish healthy eating choices from a young age and therefore appreciate your support in fully implementing this policy. We want to prevent our children having serious medical conditions later in life.
Mrs Power will be carrying out ‘lunch-box looks’ and will award stickers to children who have healthy packed lunches. Please support the school and your child by providing a healthy lunch for them. I will continue to monitor the pack lunches and will contact you again should I need to. If you should have any questions regarding this letter or require any nutritional help with your child’s packed lunch, please make an appointment to see me.