UNIVERSAL INFANT FREE SCHOOL MEALS (UIFSM)
From September 2014, all infant pupils (Reception, Year One and Year Two) in state-funded schools were automatically entitled to free school meals, under the Universal Infant Free School Meals scheme (UIFSM), saving parents around £380 per child each year. You do not need to do anything. Send your infant child to school without lunch and we will provide a free hot meal. Junior children will need to continue to have their lunches paid for unless they are entitled for Free School Meals as detailed below.
Click here for the April 2017 – October 2017 School Dinner Menu
Who is eligible for Free School Meals?
Children are eligible to receive free school meals (FSM) if their parents are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers’ Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs.
- Working Tax Credit run-on- paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit
How to claim Free School Meals
If you think your child is entitled to free school meals, you’ll usually need to fill in an application form supplied by your local council. Give your completed application to your child’s school and make sure you can show documentary proof of any support you are receiving.
Free School Meals/Pupil Premium Applications
Thurrock Council Awards and Benefits Department will not accept paper claim forms for free school meals after 31 January 2017.It is therefore necessary for any families who would like to apply for free school meals for children between the ages 3 to school leaving age who do not already have an active claim, to now apply online.
Applications can be made online by visiting:
https://www.thurrock.gov.uk/school-meals/free-school-mealsSimply login to our My Account services, select 'Education and childcare', 'Free school meals' and then 'Apply online'. A family can create an account if they don’t already have one. All you need is a valid personal email address.